Friday 15 October 2010

The Queen's Silver Jubilee



The summer of 1977 was a memorable time... The Sex Pistols were in their element after 'God Save the Queen' was banned by the BBC, I went on holiday to the Isle Of Wight for the second year in a row (thankfully it wasn't as hot as 1976's heatwave), and Elizabeth II celebrated her 25th anniversary as Queen.

For much of the summer term at Infant School, most days were spent covering everything in red, white and blue, painting flags, hanging bunting, and learning all about our monarchy and the imminent celebrations. After a school tea party, I was chosen with another student in my class to accompany the mayor in planting a silver birch tree. Cue the click of Kodak cameras and polite applause. Other than that, my memory has formed its own version of events, based upon images from photos and memorabilia.

I've still got the ubiquitous commemoration mug and 'First Day Cover' stamp collection, though I wonder if the tree remains standing...

No comments:

Post a Comment